A Fashion Internship II

Arek Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Here are a few more interesting tidbits I picked up during my internship:

  • To the trained fashion eye, one can tell the relationship between a brand's PR and people in a fashion magazine just by flipping through the magazine and skimming the numbers of item featured. I have given this a try and unfortunately it seems my fashion eye is still not trained enough to achieve this.
  • Like many other industries, the turnover rate in the fashion industry is also very high. My colleagues together seems to have worked for almost half the fashion brand names around. As a result, everyone seems to know absolutely everyone in the industry.
  • Inevitably in an industry dominated by women and gay men, it is a pretty bitchy business. Fortunately for me, my office is unusually friendly and the girls are all very nice and fun to hang out with. They talk about food, diets, relationships, where to go shopping and the latest gossip- girl talk!
  • The order of the clothes on the rack actually tells a story and is not as random as it appears. Oh and hangers should be facing inwards!
  • Cosmetics launch parties gives out better goodies bags (their latest products) than fashion shows which gives . . . nothing that I've recieved so far. But I am very ready to be convinced otherwise, so send me an invite ;)
  • As one ex-shoe-buyer of one of my favourite department stores told me, the fashion industry is not as glamorous as it seems.

Overall, I've learnt ALOT about the fashion industry this summer. It has definitely given me something to think about in the future.

Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment