FIVE by Rio Ferdinand—an Interview

Arek Friday, September 24, 2010

Rio Ferdinand gives us a sneaky insight into his footwear collection


The footwear collection from Five by Rio Ferdinand draws on the fantastic success of the launch collection to create a range of footwear and bags that cater for every aspect of the contemporary man’s busy lifestyle.


The range has been heavily influenced by Rio’s own style, with casual yet sophisticated designs for the man about town taking centre stage. Inspiration from the collection has come from….


What pieces have you been wearing the most?
The Rocco black military boots, brown and black Reuben slouch boots and the Rhys brogue zipper shoe.


Unlike many other celebrity lines you have made sure that you had a real input into the designs, is this something you’ve always wanted to do?

I could have put my name to a shoe or other fashion brands but I wouldn't of had as much scope in the design process and that's what appeals to me. Five has to represent me...it has to be versatile, appeal a mix of people and have a certain amount of coolness about it.


Whose style do you admire?
Tom Ford. The guy breathes understated cool. I like Andre 3000's quirky cool too.

What has been your biggest fashion mistake?
I don't know...I probably got most stick for the white suit I wore when I signed for Man Utd!


How do you prepare for a game, is there a song you listen to or any strange rituals?
I jump on to the pitch when I hit the white line. I pour water over my face in the tunnel.

What has been the highlight and biggest disappointment of your career ?
Winning my 1st Premier League title, winning the champions league, my debut for west ham and England. Injury before the World Cup and losing to Barcelona in Champions League final.

What’s your ‘Stylebible’ city of choice and why?
I've always found great bits in Japan whenever I've been, they love their fashion out there.

What is your best kept secret in your little black book?
Its a secret!

How would you describe your style, and what trends from the UK have you adopted or chosen to ignore?
I've become a more simple dresser now, simple colours not much into patterned stuff but I like layers of clothes and them to be cut nicely. I chose to miss the men’s Uggs wearing moment!

What can’t you travel without?
I pod and phone

What is your favourite hotel?

The Grove

What are your favourite restaurants?
Rosso, Manchester (Italian), Hakasan, London.

What’s your most extravagant purchase?
My house

Name a product you couldn’t live without?

My Five black suede boots, cool, comfort and versatile! Plus Nivea!

Who is your favourite designer?

Tom Ford and Scotch & Soda.

Where is next on your list of places to visit?
Wherever the Champions league final is I want to be there(playing)!

What is the best bit of advice you’ve ever been given?
Treat others how you would like to be treated.

What is on your shopping wish list right now?

The new Five range- I can't wait for them to get to me!


The Brand

FIVE is the new footwear and accessories brand inspired and headed by internationally renowned Manchester United player and captain of the England national football team.


Rio Ferdinand

Rio Gavin Ferdinand (1978) is an English football player and captain of the English national team, who, besides soccer, has an passion for fashion.


View the collection here.

Photos & text Copyright Five by Rio Ferdinand, Courstesy Eskimo PR.

Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment